Privacy Notice Simply Stated
Welcome to XO Communications. We want you to know that we respect your privacy, are committed to upholding a high standard when it comes to privacy and security, and want you to know how we use information collected from our customers and from visitors to our websites. Our full Privacy Notice is below and, although we encourage reading the full Policy, we know your time is valuable, so we’ve provide a summary about our privacy practices with links to the corresponding full-length sections of our Privacy Notice below.
- Information We Collect Through Our Websites – We collect some information automatically when you visit our websites, including information about pages visited, your computer’s IP address and browser type. This is non-personally identifiable information and we generally only use it for administrative purposes. We also collect personally identifiable information that you voluntarily provide to us through our sites, for example when you make a purchase.
- Information We Collect from Our Customers – We collect personally identifiable information from our retail and corporate customers, including their names, addresses, billing/payment information, phone numbers, email addresses, and other information for business administration and service. Additionally, in the course of providing telephony services to our customers, we collect information about their use of the services, including type of service and calling activity; that information is known as “Customer Proprietary Network Information,” or CPNI and is subject to special rules. In the course of providing other services, including data, cloud and wireless services, to Customers, we also obtain information such as class or type of service, technical characteristics, billing records, location of service, IP address and other information.
- Use of Personally Identifiable Information – We use personally identifiable information to process customer orders and to provide and bill for services. We also use personally identifiable information that has been provided to us by a website visitor to carry out the purpose or respond to the request for which is was given, such as a request for information about our services. In addition, we may contact our customers and visitors to inform them about our products and services, as well as communications-related services offered by third parties with whom we have a relationship. You may opt out of such marketing communications at any time.
- Exceptions and Limitations – We may disclose personally identifiable or other information to our suppliers and partners when necessary to do business with you, or when required by law or in connection with the prevention of fraud or other illegal or harmful activities.
- Directory Information and Caller ID – We make subscriber information available to telephone directories and display Caller ID information where available.
- Cookies – We use “cookies,” which are small files that are stored on your computer and used to track certain information about your visit to our websites. You may set your browser to reject cookies, but this may limit some functionality of our sites. Additionally, we may or may not recognize the do-no-track headers from some or all browsers.
- Third Party Sites – Our websites may contain links to other websites that are owned and operated by third parties. Some of our services also make third party services and material available directly to Customers. Our Privacy Notice does not cover such third parties, their sites or their collection and use of information.
- Non-US Website Visitors and Customers – Our services and website are provided in the U.S. and are intended for use by U.S. domestic customers. If you are located outside of the United States, the transfer of your personal information to us in the United States is either necessary to the performance of our contracts with our customers or to respond to an inquiry you may make. By visiting our website or using our services, either as a retail or corporate customer, you consent to the transfer of your personal information to us where we are based and to other locations where we operate.
- Data Minimization and Access – XO will take reasonable steps to collect the minimum amount of personal information necessary to accomplish the specific purpose for which it is collected and will provide reasonable access to individuals regarding the personal information we hold about them.
- Security – We take reasonable measures to protect the security of customer and visitor information.
- Protecting the Privacy of Children – Because XO sites are designed for businesses, we do not knowingly collect information from children.
- Questions About this Policy – You may contact us with any questions about our Privacy Notice at firstname.lastname@example.org.
XO Communications, LLC, and its operating companies – XO Communications Services, LLC and its subsidiaries (collectively “XO”) respects the privacy of every individual and has published this Privacy Notice to explain how we collect and use information from XO customers (“Customers”) and from visitors to our websites (“Visitors”). This Policy applies to all XO companies that collect and/or use Customer or Visitor information ("XO Companies") as well as all web sites owned and operated by XO Companies, including www.xo.com and related sites (collectively, "the XO Sites"). We may revise this Policy from time to time, and will notify you of any revisions by changing the “last updated” date at the bottom of this Policy.
Our websites and Services are provided in the U.S., governed by U.S. laws and intended for domestic use by U.S.-based Visitors, Customers and End Users. We make no representation that materials available on this site or through any Service are appropriate or available for use in locations outside the United States, and accessing them from territories where their contents are illegal is prohibited. Those who access this site or any site hosted by XO from other locations are responsible for compliance with local law.
I. Information We Collect Through Our Websites
Non-Personally Identifiable Information We Automatically Collect Over Our Websites
To improve the quality and usefulness of the XO Sites, XO automatically collects some non-personally identifiable information from Visitors, such as the IP address of the Visitor's computer, the type of web browser used by the Visitor, the number and frequency of Visitors, XO Sites and pages visited within our Sites, and other information that does not specifically identify the Visitor but may be used to identify the business entity to which a Visitor’s IP address is assigned.
Personally Identifiable Information We Collect Over Our Websites
The XO Sites also allow Visitors to submit personally identifiable information in connection with certain activities or transactions, such as making a purchase or paying for services, enrolling in a referral program, submitting an employment application, requesting product or service information, sending an e-mail to an XO Site, and other activities or transactions in which a Visitor voluntarily submits personal information to XO.
On those XO Sites where Visitors voluntarily submit questions, comments, feedback, suggestions, ideas or the like, XO treats Visitors’ submissions as non-confidential and non-proprietary, and any information becomes the property of XO and can be used by XO for any purpose without the expectation of any compensation. XO assumes no obligation to protect such information from disclosure.
II. Information We Collect From Our Customers
When enrolling for or purchasing services from XO, or participating in a business referral program, and in the course of providing services to Customers, XO will collect certain information necessary to respond to inquiries, establish and deliver services to Customers. Customers may be asked to provide information about their technology as well as information about Customer personnel needed to create an account, including the name, address, phone number and e-mail address of account administrator(s). For account security, verification or tax purposes, XO may also request federal tax ID information, purchase order number, and information about the individual(s) responsible for business account administration. Additionally, in the course of providing telephony services, XO obtains information such as class or type of service, technical characteristics, billing records, location of service and other information. This type of information as known as Customer Proprietary Network Information ("CPNI") (CPNI does not include your name, address and telephone number, which instead are considered “subscriber list information” not subject to CPNI regulations. For more specific information about CPNI, see below.)
We will use these types of information to maintain contact with customers regarding service and account related matters. We may also use this Information to seek feedback from Customers, for marketing and promotional purposes, for statistical analysis and for product development. Personal information, however, will not be sold to or shared with third parties, unless specifically stated otherwise or in special circumstances.
III. Use of Personally Identifiable Information
Information From Visitors
Whenever personally identifiable information is provided on an XO Site, it will be used for the specific purpose or to respond to the specific request for which it was given. XO may also use such information to inform you about additional services and products offered by the XO Companies and XO authorized agents, as well as related services offered by third parties with whom XO has relationships whose products and other offerings might be of interest. XO will not, however, sell or trade a Visitor's personally identifiable information to unaffiliated third parties without authorization or to comply with applicable law. You may opt out of receiving marketing communications from XO by clicking on http://www.xo.com/contactpreferences/and updating your contact preferences, or by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in any emails XO sends.
Be aware that information disclosed in a public space, including on any blog, bulletin board or social media site may be available to others who visit that space. XO cannot safeguard any information that is disclosed or stored in these or other locations. You acknowledge and understand that you have no expectation of privacy or confidentiality in the content you submit for profiles or to such interactive features, whether or not it contains personally identifiable information about you.
Information From or About Customers, including CPNI
XO uses the information it collects from Customers to process orders and to provide and bill for services. XO may also share information with outside service providers, such as third party suppliers and service providers, when necessary to complete an order or provide services. XO may use personally identifiable information and/or CPNI to inform Customers about additional services and products offered by the XO Companies and XO authorized agents, as well as communications-related services offered by third parties with whom XO has relationships and whose offerings might be of interest to Customers. XO will not, however, sell or trade a Customer’s personally identifiable information or CPNI unless we are authorized by the Customer or do so in compliance with applicable law. You may update your information and/or request that XO refrain from using your personally identifiable information for marketing purposes by contacting your Customer Care representative or by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link that we include in all of the commercial emails we send (information on contacting Customer Care can be found by clicking here).
You may request that XO refrain from using CPNI for marketing purposes by contacting Customer Care. Please be aware that restricting use of CPNI for marketing communications from XO will not eliminate all XO marketing or other contacts about the Services provided to you. For example, XO and its agents may use your information to initiate, render, bill and collect for services, or contact you about service or billing related matters. XO may provide information to credit bureaus and/or sell receivables to collection agencies to obtain payment for XO products and services to use the information to protect our rights and property and the rights of others, including to prevent fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful use of or subscription to our services.
IV. Exceptions and Limitations on Use and Sharing of Personal Information
There are times when, in order to comply with applicable laws, regulations, court or administrative orders, subpoenas or other matters, XO must disclose information, including personally identifiable information and CPNI. XO cooperates fully with state, local, and federal officials in any investigation relating to any content (including personal or private electronic communications transmitted to XO) or purported unlawful activities of any user of any XO Site or XO service, and takes reasonable measures to protect the proprietary rights of the XO Companies. If necessary to comply with law or cooperate with law enforcement activity, XO may disclose personally identifiable information or CPNI of Visitors and/or Customers. XO reserves the right to, and will, share information when it believes, in its sole discretion, it is necessary to prevent unlawful use of communications services, when necessary to repair or restore network outages, in emergency situations (e.g. 911 calls; matters of public safety, etc.) or to protect the security or integrity of the XO Sites or the XO Companies. In addition, XO may monitor and/or disclose communications of any kind over its networks (i) to satisfy any law, regulation, or government request (e.g. response to private or law enforcement-issued subpoena); (ii) if such monitoring and/or disclosure is necessary or appropriate to operate XO (e.g. recording of Customer Care calls); or (iii) to protect the rights or property of XO or others (e.g. to prevent fraud, infringement of rights, etc.). Additionally, in connection with the potential sale or transfer of any of its interest in any XO Company or XO Site, XO reserves the right to sell or transfer Visitor or Customer information to a third party that (i) concentrates its business in communication products or services; (ii) agrees to be XO's successor in interest with regard to the maintenance and protection of information collected and maintained by XO; and (iii) agrees to the material obligations of this Privacy Notice. Additionally, we may or may not recognize the do-no-track headers from some or all browsers.
V. Directory Information and Caller ID
Customers that subscribe to XO local telephone service are given the opportunity to request that their name, number and address be or not be published in directories, be made available through directory assistance or appear in "Yellow Pages" or other similar business directories. Such requests may require payment of additional fees. Please contact your local XO service representative for more information. A telephone service Customer's name and number may, where available, be transmitted and displayed on a Caller ID device unless the Customer, subject to compliance with Caller ID rules, has elected to block such information. Please note that Caller ID blocking does not prevent the display of a caller’s number when dialing certain business numbers, 911, 900 numbers, or toll-free 800, 888, or 877 numbers.
VII. Third Party Sites
If you link to a third party site from an XO Site, any information you provide to that site and any use of that information by the third party site are not under the control of XO and are not subject to this Policy. This includes websites that XO links to, or hosts for Customers as part of XO services. You should consult the privacy policies of each site you visit.
VIII. Safe Harbor
XO has certified its compliance with the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles for its Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing solution, commonly known as “XO Enterprise Cloud Services”. Read about SafeHarbor and Cloud here.
IX. Non-US Website Visitors and Customers
XO is based in and operates from the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that, by visiting our website or using our services either as a retail or corporate customer, you consent to the transfer of your personal information to XO in the United States. Moreover, the transfer of your personal information to XO in the United States is either necessary to the performance of our contracts with our customers or to respond to an inquiry you may make. The United States and other countries where we operate may not have protections for personal information equivalent to those in your home country.
X. Data Minimization
When collecting information from Visitors and Customers, XO takes reasonable steps to collect the minimum amount of personal information necessary to accomplish the specific purpose for which it is collected. XO also makes a reasonable effort to delete information when there is no longer a legitimate business purpose for retaining it.
XI. Data Access
XO may afford Visitors and Customers with reasonable access to the personally identifiable information that we collect and maintain by emailing a request to email@example.com.
Information Provided to Us
XO uses reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the personally identifiable information it collects about Visitors and customers. When XO collects credit card information, it is used solely to bill Customers for the products and services they receive. XO does not share credit card information except as may be necessary to process Customer transactions. On those XO Sites where you may provide XO with credit card or other ordering information via the web, XO employs customary web-based security and encryption protocols, such as user identity verification/login policies Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Secure Electronic Transaction (SET), to secure transmission of that information. If your browser does not support use of such secure connections, or if you prefer not to send your credit card number over the Internet, please contact Customer Care or your local XO sales representative. However, as effective as modern security practices are, no physical or electronic security system is impenetrable. XO cannot guarantee the security of its systems or databases, nor can XO guarantee that information supplied by you will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet. XO is not responsible for the unlawful or unauthorized actions of third parties.
Content Posted or Transmitted Using XO Services
As to the privacy and security of any content that Customers may transmit or store using XO Services, XO has an obligation to and takes commercially reasonable steps to protect its proprietary network and service delivery elements from unauthorized access. XO does not routinely monitor Customer content transmitted, stored or otherwise utilized by Customers in connection with any XO Services. In keeping with its obligations under applicable law and regulation, XO employs commercially reasonable technical, physical and administrative safeguards aimed at protecting its proprietary network and communications backbone and other service delivery elements owned or controlled by XO to ensure that a standard set of security procedures are in place for its network elements. However, no security measures are foolproof, and the security or confidentiality of your information or Content cannot be guaranteed. Customers are therefore responsible for the security, protection and backup of their data, the choice and use of any encryption or other security measures to protect from unauthorized access, loss or destruction, and compliance with any Customer privacy notice in connection with Customer and its End User’s collection, processing and storage of information or data through the Services. Customers are also responsible for protecting the confidentiality and security of user identification and passwords.
XIII. Protecting the Privacy of Children
XO Sites are designed to provide commercial business information and allow service ordering and management by adults. XO Sites are not designed to attract minors, particularly children under the age of 13. XO does not market to or knowingly collect information from anyone under the age of 13.
XIV. Changes to and Questions About this Policy
Because of changes in technology and the growth and development of our business, or for other business reasons and as required to keep pace with law and regulation, XO reserves the right to make changes to this policy at any time.
Should you have any questions about this Policy or your information held by XO, please send your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will try to address any questions you may have.